View Single Post
Old 12-17-2017, 08:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
There was very little of the nylon disc left even before I removed the socket. When I first took out the chassis and blew out all the dust, bits of that socket went with it.

The Philcos seem more rare than others. Zenith 19" B&W sets are much more common. I wonder if these 19" Philcos, when they were all around 10-20 years old broke down because of weird problems like bad tube sockets and controls and nobody wanted to put in the effort to fix them and junked most of them.

Here's an ad showing the different early 19" Philco B&W models. I've been looking for one of those Town and Countrys for years. Those 19" sets in what look like Seventeener III cabinets with rectangular 19" CRT masks are cool looking too. It also says they made some of these Townhouses with a remote control.
Many years ago, one of my neighbors called and said they were looking at new sets. Their choice was between a Zenith and a Philco set for about the same price!
I told them, " Stay away from the Philco, they don't stand up worth a damn". The Zenith is a better buy.