View Single Post
Old 07-24-2018, 12:02 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtest View Post
I have a couple questions about this before I mess with with this set. Luckily I do have a variac and plenty of meters so this shouldn't be too bad. Anyways I am not sure how to put the meter in series with the AC line. Am I hooking the positive lead to one side of the AC line, and the Negative to the other? I am afraid of blowing the meter honestly.

Also I am a bit confused what you mean by "95%". Do you mean that it's a 95% chance that is the issue? May be a stupid question but I am trying to not miss a single detail in the instructions to ensure the right results and to avoid damaging anything.

Also not sure if this helps but this set is 19".
First make sure you're using a meter that measures amps and leave one lead at the meter end connected to common as usual; you'll probably have to move the other to the appropriate connector. That's how it works with my meter anyway, no idea if others and/or newer ones differ. As for connecting it in series with the line, one side has to be disconnected from the set somehow--the hot side will work for sure but I'm not sure of neutral--and the meter itself used to complete the circuit. I have never used the amps setting on mine, I'm yet to rig up some kind of pigtail connector I can quickly and safely plug into.

I believe you're right about the 95% probability part, I can't imagine it meaning anything else.