View Single Post
Old 07-25-2018, 08:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
Good call, I've done my share of damage due to inexperience.

On my meter the jack for testing current draw is fused so nothing to worry about. I would rather avoid blowing the fuse though, those I need tend to be unavailable locally.

Keep your eye on the listings, 4 bills sounds like a pretty common gouging for one of those units. Fortunately I found a nice one for a decent price when I had some extra scratch come in, around 3 bills shipped in early 2015, and even then the cross-border shipping prices were pretty bad. I'll probably still make a test jig for my meter though as that measures current draw up to 10A.

So I just tested the tv and the amp draw is 1.5 amps roughly. When I saw that I smacked the emergency kill button on the variac to avoid damaging anything. I have had units cook in the past to hopefully this set is okay.

Even if a fuse is blown on a meter sometimes you have to get another one. I blew a fuse in my craftsman meter and that caused it to become wildly inaccurate with resistance tests and now on some setting instead of reading "0.00" it always gets a reading. Maybe that's just the nature of this particular meter when it gets damaged, but I have been warned about fuses protecting a unit too late.

I will certainly keep an eye out for one of those. I am trying to get a bunch of tv repair equipment Saturday from someone with bulk. Maybe a hidden gem will be in there. Dang I hope so.
Audiokarma