View Single Post
Old 10-05-2015, 01:17 AM
Living The Draper Ethos

Quote:
Originally Posted by baursam View Post
I don't believe the embargo is officially over. Hopefully, its just a matter of months, but if there is a part you have located in the US that you need but are unable to purchase/have it shipped to you due to your location, let me know and i could assist from up here in Canada.
The embargo isn't officially over but it has gotten significantly easier to ship small packages to Cuba in the last year or so.

Also, RJMiranda, I just wanted to pop in and say Hello. I work in the retail cigar business here in the USA as a day job, and as a result, do business with a lot of wonderful people from your country. Some of them left Cuba 50 years ago, others as recent as 2012.
At some point, if you're willing, I'd love to hear about what Cuban techs and engineers had to do to keep stuff working post-embargo with a mix of US and Soviet made components, because I use a lot of ebay sourced USSR military surplus passive components, tubes, and transistors myself. Both of my working Zenith mid 60's tube color sets have IF strips full of 6J51P and 6K13P tubes, and USSR made paper in oil caps work great in tube radios and audio equipment.
Anyway, sorry for the thread derail.
If you ever need anything, I have a good friend, a College professor who was my department faculty advisor, that travels to Havana pretty regularly and would probably be more than happy to bring some small parts down for you. He's a part of a non-profit organization that deals with the preservation of Cuban architectural history. They just opened an office in Miramar, or Vedado, I can't remember which, this past spring. I may be traveling to Havana with him sometime next year. If I do, It would really neat to meet a fellow VK'er in Cuba.

Last edited by fsjonsey; 10-05-2015 at 01:53 AM.