View Single Post
Old 10-19-2015, 04:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi fsjonsey! Great looking TV, good job!
I am very sorry about what happened to your Corvair.
There are some Corvairs in Havana (I canīt tell you much about other provinces) but MOST of them have replaced the original engine with a Russian Lada 4-cyl mounted at the front. Donīt ask me what they did to the steering system, nor how they mounted the engine without proper reinforced surfaces. And of course they had to open a ventilation grille between the headlights and run the transmission shaft to the rear axle.
All said, they donīt look half as bad as it sounds... except that I LOVE to see older cars running as they were made.
I have a 1953 Chevrolet Belair (it needs a new front grille because the original one rusted apart), but with the original engine and transmission. Only change is an alternator instead of a DC generator.
The Corvair is a beautiful, unique American car. I think it is the ONLY 6-cyl H-engine ever made. Maybe they made it after the Volkswagen, air-cooled, rear-engine, but being American it had to have 6-cyl power!
A friend of mine here had a Corvair with automatic transmission, but after so many years it was worn, and after 30-40 mins of driving, it wouldnīt shift to high!