Thread: What is it?
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2019, 12:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

Yes I have one too!

I noticed your post a few years ago and I lost track. The radio I have looks exactly like yours with the exception of a duller finish, bullet style knobs, missing power cord and no schematic available anywhere. I am prepared to refinish the cabinet and the face dial is remarkably clean and very detailed without any rust or paint flaking. I have tried to get a transformer ID to make a replacement but none available. It has had a partial recap at least the electrolytic with modern axial style caps. Unfortunately the can is missing so I do not know the actual values of what the can might have contained. Most of the paper caps can be read and they look to be original. I can surmise from the missing power cord that there may have been a problem in circuit and the transformer has melted wax streaming down the wires feeding the internals. That may very well have been a sign of an end of life situation..not sure. The links provided years ago are now no longer active so I will have to go on another wild goose chase to find an alternative to restore this radio or see if I can economically adapt the tuning face with an alternative circuit for short wave and am reception. the other band seems to be a set of discontinued public service frequencies or long wave..I am not near the radio to find out. I noticed the four pin tubes are not clearly marked where represented on similarly dated and similar models with the same tube numbers.
PDF copied Ryders seem to be wash out or unclear on part numbers but old nfo will probably be like that for all schematics from that era. I you find or happen to have a schematic or can find a part number,or even a wire pinout of the transformer, that would be most appreciated. I have thought about testing the transformer on a variac and DMM but high voltages and a burned out transformer sorta scares me. I will check in from time to time if you or anyone reading this has more NFO or links to get me on the right track to restore it..BTW Yours looks beautiful and thanks for taking the time to present your story to us:-) regards, Allen