Thread: Icom 229H
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2011, 11:29 AM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadillac Kid View Post
It is from a local thrift store. Thanks for the comments everyone!

It's interesting, to me, that a piece of ham radio gear would turn up in a thrift store; most of the time, these only appear at hamfests. There is a danger involved in selling these radios in ordinary thrift stores, in that the radio will be purchased by a non-ham who is not aware that unlicensed operation on the amateur bands is illegal. The problem often is that non-hams mistake a 2-meter rig for a CB radio; since CBs no longer require FCC licenses, and because 2m rigs look so much like CB radios, the chances of something like this happening are good -- almost too good. I'm surprised the FCC doesn't have more trouble than it has with illegal 2-meter operation by kids and others who think a 2m rig is a CB.

I would think, however, that one look at the frequency display of a 2m rig would be the tipoff; as we hams know, 146.94 is not a CB channel, but to an uninformed, nontechnical, unlicensed person whose only experience with radio has been CB, the number could suggest a channel in a new, expanded Citizens Band. The FCC will come knocking at their door (or the person will get a violation notice from them), or they get an Official Observer notice from the ARRL. In the latter case, it is only a warning, but if the FCC comes calling or a citation arrives in the mailbox, the person can and will be in big trouble.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 07-25-2011 at 11:41 AM.