View Single Post
Old 03-26-2014, 06:32 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post

You'll probably need lower control arm bushings, your windshield will drip water on your right leg when it rains (happens to every one of these old vans), but other than that it will give you many years of reliable service. Mine gets at best 15 MPG on the highway whether it's fully loaded or empty.
Maybe ball joints too. Good thing is I think they used a lot of the same parts as the pickups, so they're still easy to find.

I used to have a boss that had a mid 80's diesel Vandura. He liked it and I don't remember him having any major trouble.

As Squirrel pointed out, they are different to drive if you're not used to them. I personally don't like them and I've driven them from GM, Ford, Dodge. I'm a big guy with big feet and they're not comfortable for me. They're noisy, have a hard ride, and will give you a workout on windy days. I like min-vans much better. Some people love them though.

As you already know those Detroit Diesel 6.2 engines are totally different from the lousy Olds diesels they put in cars. These have a pretty decent reputation and parts should still be easy to get.