View Single Post
Old 03-27-2014, 09:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
I picked up some more details tonight: it's an '83, G25 series, oil was changed every 3k miles with regular fuel filter changes and transmission servicing. He said he never had a bit of trouble with the 700R4. Power windows/locks, all work. He did mention the heavy feel, especially when braking. I've only driven these vans around town once or twice, for customers...had one guy, a retired TV repairman, who had an '86 with a 4.3V6 and a factory 3 speed in the floor! He was still driving it a year ago when he moved away to retire. Rust was creeping up on that one, though. The worst news is that the AC quit years ago. He had a mechanic replace the seals and recharge it but it leaked down quickly and he never messed with it again. Working AC would be a must.

Squirrel Boy, I agree about the "devil you know." I've owned the Dodge almost since new and can tell you its whole history off the top of my head. Granted, the owner of this van has likewise kept excellent records. I really like that generation Dakota, and have been driving them for about 23 years now. A thought I've had for years now was to find one from the mid-90s with no miles on it, maybe an estate vehicle, but every one I see has 150-250k miles on it. For now, I think I'll research what it would cost to get the AC up and running...hmm, wonder what those roof units cost???
The AC's in GM products, seldom lasted over three years. All the AC's in my Mopar's worked when I sold them, usually ten years or older.
The AC in my 2000 Dakota, will cool down the truck in a very short time. It's a club-cab type and uses the newer refrigerant.