View Single Post
Old 08-14-2018, 01:00 AM
VideoKarma Member

From Jeffhs: " ABC and CBS used similar color logos when they began color telecasting, some years after NBC did so; CBS' logo had the three letters "CBS" dropping down to the viewing area of TV screens, with the network's "eye" logo to the right, and the announcer would say "CBS presents this program in color." ABC's color logo was composed of the lower-case letters "ABC", superimposed on a large black dot on your TV screen and shown, of course, in color on color TVs. The announcement was "This is an ABC color presentation." Since color TV was so new at the time, these logos were not seen all that much since, as I mentioned, most TV programming, including network shows, was b&w; in the beginning, I am sure only very special programs were telecast in color."

Jeffhs, You are correct as far as ABC color I.D.'s. NBC's 1st color logo 1954-56 was a color version of the NBC chimes. NBC's color peacock didn't arrive on scene until 1956. Started as a still slide, the animated peacock arrived just a bit later. CBS started w/there color logo for the field sequential system in 1951. In 1954 CBS used the CBS eye logo for their NTSC color & had several versions of that until the animated letters in the 60's.

Last edited by Steve D.; 12-29-2018 at 04:24 PM.
Audiokarma