View Single Post
Old 05-03-2019, 03:34 PM
Motorola Minion

I thought Hoffman once was located in Minnesota like Setchell-Carlson. It was a west-coast brand like P-B, rarely seen here and only because someone brought it when they moved east.

Now its REAL funny Dieseljeep mentions this Hoffman and a Muntz clone with a 25AP22, indeed!

I got a Muntz-branded Combo and it was only 10 years old, but a "newer set" to a novice-tech in 11th grade Vo-tech electronics who just learned to use a B&K analyst.
The plain walnut cabinet had an AM-FM radio with record player under a lid, area above the escutcheon raised just enough to accommodate them.
6x9 coaxial(?) speakers firing out the sides of this big box, with grills cut into the veneer plywood. I think I have the Sams for it too.

Not surprised to hear others praise Muntz in THIS case, it ended up looking very good, I credit RCA CTC12-15-16 experience up to that point, then sold it to a friend whose parents moved into an apartment and had to downsize. Fortunately they had cable at the new place, it was NOT an RCA tuner Im pretty sure.

Once I fixed all the PW700/6GU7 wiring and adjusted HV -convergence- Eff coil, not much more work until it was as good as an RCA, often having lurking issues.

The tuner was definitely not impressive! Same Standard -Kollsman that Magnavox and GE used with an even cheaper, non-lighted U/V selector knob like so many Sears. I think it had strips, not wafers.

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 05-03-2019 at 04:08 PM.