View Single Post
Old 06-11-2017, 07:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
Couple of quick comments:

1. The CRT is still under vacuum and appears to be connected correctly since the heaters are glowing.

2. The "rust colored glass pieces" that you found were pieces of the base cap cement used to glue the base cap to the CRT.

3. If you had actually broken the tip seal off of the CRT (under the locater key) you would have heard the sound of in rushing air, filling the vacuum of the CRT.

4. Is the other end of the high voltage wire (the large white wire seen in the picture of the tube layout chart) properly plugged into the CRT?

5. Logo on the back (on serial number tag) looks to me like Phillips, not Philco... could you get a close-up pix?

https://www.google.com/search?q=phil...&client=safari

jr
Thanks jr. Greatly appreciated. I plugged everything back the way it was before I started 'cleaning'. I assume the large white wire is plugged in. I do not remember touching it at all but will take a look. I might just take it to a tech to service because I don't want to electrocute myself...LOL
Oh, it is a Phillips and not Philco.
The logo looks like the one I found on the net.
I was told this set was from the '50s though not sure..

@Notimetolooz - the portion that broke is portion outlined on your first picture where the narrow top joins to the wide portion before it reaches to where the prongs are. Basically that little "nub" part.
On my picture it is the small cylinder portion that slides through the "O-ring" thing. That is the portion that broke off right under the ring - which covers the break.....
Thanks Phil,
Greatly appreciated. I'll check those links out. I think I might continue with the restoration of the case and then take it to someone who knows this stuff to do a 'servicing' to it. I was under the impression that it worked 100% when I got it - which it probably did - until I decided to clean all the crap out of it. I'll open it up again to see if everything is connected ok...

Thanks N2IXK. Greatly appreciated. You are right. I just held this portion of the tube to keep it stable while I reached in to pull it back off the four bolts holding it in place.... and 'crack'.... Very brittle...
Thanks... I'll keep posting with updates.

I didn't even see a broken wire Mr. Jukebox..lol Woops...

Oh, I uploaded a closer picture of the back with the model number. Yes... Definitely Phillips and not Philco...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3085.jpg (119.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg index.jpg (23.6 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Marzutra; 06-11-2017 at 08:01 PM.