Thread: Silvertone 7140
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2016, 07:41 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

The TV-123! I think I'm only short one or maybe two of the small ones, but that set is gonna wait around for a long time till I get to it anyway. The table model 123 takes precedence before that one, once this here Silvertone is done of course.

Update: I think I finally have all the capacitors replaced on the Silvertone chassis, it was a real pain in the butt since everything is really crammed in there. Also seems like this thing was built on a Friday near shift change if you know what I mean, lots of excessive solder on joints, components not routed in what I would call an intelligent manner, and even a capacitor goof from the factory. It seems whoever built this got confused about which cap to put where, because a non-polar horizontal centering cap got installed where a normal 'lytic should have been and the polarized 'lytic wound up in the horizontal centering spot. The caps in question were C13 (10uf polar in the horizontal oscillator) and C12 on the H-cent wiper to ground.

Next issue I'm going to have is, the H-yoke connections in this chassis are center tapped and my test jig is not. Anyone see an issue leaving the center tap off for testing, or would it not deflect properly? Schematic is below, wire in question comes off tap #2 on the flyback.

http://www.earlytelevision.org/pdf/s...sams_388-1.pdf

Reason it would be nice to be able to use the jig is the CRT on this thing completely obscures the chassis components, so if there's an issue after recap and I stick the tube back in it has to come right back out and that's a PITA on this thing. Would be nice to be able to debug it, then put the jug back in.

Last edited by miniman82; 07-17-2016 at 07:52 PM.
Audiokarma