View Single Post
Old 05-17-2011, 08:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

RCA & Emerson portable phonographs

I picked up these two for $10 each at the "antique alley" yard sale that takes place once a year.

The first one is a '56 Emerson with a later VM 900 series record changer. The only thing I've done to it is replace the rubber motor mounts; but, it will need the usual amp and changer overhaul before it's ready to play records. It has a 3-tube amp driving a 5" speaker. The case needs cleaning and there are some dings in the covering; but, I've seen a lot worse.

The second one is one of RCA's lower end portables from around '59-'60. It uses a two tube amp (rectifier and output) driving a 4" speaker. The cartridge is a high output crystal type. Like the Emerson above, it will need a complete changer and amp overhaul in order to work. The case is in a little better shape on this one.

The guy who I bought these from sets up at the flea market and he's all the time finding old record players and radios for me. A few weeks ago, I bought a nicer '56 Magnavox from him. One day, I'm hoping he'll find one of those nice mid '50's VM portables or other high end portables from the '50's.