View Single Post
Old 04-25-2020, 05:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notimetolooz View Post
Sounds puzzling alright.
What you did with the transistor radio was OK. I don't quite know what to think of the results.

On the Philco, I don't know if the generator they specified has a capacitor isolated output or if it is at DC ground. That would effect the grid bias of the first detector tube, I don't know if that would make a difference to the alignment though. Was the radio working before? The tuning meter moving would mean that something was getting through the IF circuits, it usually works off the AGC generated at the 2nd detector, but maybe this radio is different.
Unless you have that frequency counter or another working radio that can pick up the short wave bands, you really don't know what the SG-8 is putting out.
Yes the philco was working before but not very well, it had a lot of issues with not picking up very many stations/not very good sensitivity.

And I could try a capacitor inline with my tester on the philco.
Another thing is that when I had my signal generator hooked up to my philco radio it had a nasty ground loop hum coming through the speaker the entire time.
Audiokarma