View Single Post
Old 03-12-2019, 04:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Who's got a Philco with picture and sound?

THIS GUY!

After Tom's guidance about the generator, I decided to take it apart and see what could be amiss. And boy did I get a surprise. This thing had clearly been dropped, or kicked, or maybe fell off a building at some point. The RF PCB has several cracks in it and what looks to be a clumsy attempt to repair it. Also all the screws were missing inside. No wonder it only worked halfway.

I thought for a few minutes about whether I wanted to take that on, hopped on eBay and found a newer all-digital Philips multisystem generator with a guarantee, and the seller accepted a 2-digit offer. It arrived today from Poland, double-boxed, wrapped in plastic. Not five minutes after I opened the box I had it connected to the IF input on the Philco, punched up 38.9MHz, and a picture on the screen. Modulating a signal from a DVB tuner I have a decent picture and sound. So the IF section is good!

On the other hand now I have to fix a broken tuner that has never tuned a channel in its entire life (these were UHF-only, even though they had a VHF tuner). That should be a blast!

Thanks again to everyone for the patient help (Tom especially). With luck I won't be back to ask more questions before I'm ready to show off my first TV project.