View Single Post
Old 05-06-2011, 09:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Dos ANYONE here feel that our old "goodies" were REALLY meant to last 40-80 years??

I have been musing a bit, after my last two acquisitions from CL--A CTC-40 combo and a 1970 RCA stereo console with the VERY rare RS-246 amp--that was only made for ONE year...and which I have been seeking for OVER 30 years now!! (I happen to have a "soft spot" for the better made, higher--end console stereo of the 60's to early 70's, both tube and SS.)

Some of us have old tv's stereo, radios and other electronics that are from 35-80+ years old. Often--we CAN get them to work again--and often, most of the "high dollar" original parts are still good. But, one CANNOT say the same for ANY remotely modern stuff--built to last no more than 5-10 years or so, and probably with several repairs during that time frame.

I just wonder:: Does ANYONE really think that when they built our old things---they had ANY concern to make them to be able to last--or at least be fixable--30,40,50 and MORE years in the future??

Personally--I do NOT. I figure they made things to last say--15-20 years or so in the "old days" , without too much trouble--but I think that the reason we can get the to work for twice that long--or longer now--is just one of those "unintended consequences" of the way "things were done then".... Build something they way "you" would want it built---and it will turn out be be of VERY high quality--at least--compared to TODAY.

Zenith, in particular REALLY "overbuilt" a LOT of their tv's stereos, radios and such--at least till the early--mid 1970's or so. With the hand--wired chassis and such--they are nearly "bulletproof" and a testament to "build it right--and to last".

RCA--on the other hand--often seemed at least one or two steps behind Zenith in "build quality" , jumping on printed ckt. construction early on, but they STILL were built pretty well...and of course RCA REALLY had the "innovative edge", compared to Zenith--often taking on new and "cutting edge" technologies" that would often set the standard in coming years--such as the first to use IC's in comsumer products, the first electronic tuner, all SS HV ckt, first SS remote setup with NO motors and so on. Sets like the RCA2000, the Direct Address sets, the dimenssia sets--showcased the RCA innovative edge.

Zenith meanwhile--stuck to the "tried and true" ways and circuits---and while they were tops in build--they were often behind RCA in tech.

So--in the end--we all are able to collect and repair their works meany years--even decades--later. Does anyone really think those designers MEANT for it to "be this way".