View Single Post
Old 05-31-2016, 10:43 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
The CEC and CSA were always stricter than the NEC and U/L.
In the US, all new construction and service updates require AFCI breakers in the sleeping and living areas.
Regarding the two pole knife and plug fuse block, I saw them in old homes with K&T wiring. One home had one furnishing the power to one basement light. It struck me as strange! One home had one, just for the door bell transformer.
Since NAFTA, the CEC has made efforts to be more and more like the NEC, and unique to Canada manufacturers have been replaced one by one by global corporations. As someone who works with both the CEC and the NEC I would say the NEC is a way better document. It has a lot more explanation on how to follow rules, while the CEC is really subject to interpretation, and usually when I am confused about a CEC rule I just check what the NEC says and follow that. Practically, there's less and less difference between the wiring practice in the USA and Canada with every code updatw
One of the main ones is we have "Teck" cable and you have "MC" cable - ours has an extra layer of insulation. I think it's better than MC. On the other hand the UL de-listed stab-lock panels in the 80s and here they were the residential norm until not so long ago.
I've read instructions about how to make a "dim bulb" tester out of one of those old ceramic fuse blocks, if I find one I think I will use it that way.