View Single Post
Old 06-06-2018, 09:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Lots of Questions

I figured I'd just do a post about some general questions that I had instead of making a bunch of different posts.

1) Where does everyone get their tubes? Most of mine come from big lots or tube caddies, but what about the earlier tubes pre-octal? (I like to work on those the most) Buying individually can add up, especially for some of the more expensive tubes

2) For tube equipment that's designed to be left on(either on or in standby) should that still apply today? (restored equipment that is) or would you recommend turning it off after using it?

3) What's the best place to get TV's or radios? (Rare stuff and more common stuff) I've seen that the ETF has some good stuff at auction, but my plans to go were interrupted.

4) For smaller radios and televisions, whats the best way to pack and ship something?

5) Is there any way to determine the Phosphor type on a tube without putting it in a set? (Without a tube number) eg, I have what appears to be a 7JP4 or a 7VP1, though the number on the glass is long gone.

6) What's with me having to refinish all of these sets? Three of the last 5 radios that I've done, I've had to refinish because it was in such bad shape, or someone "fixed" it.

7) How do you deal with electrolytics? Do you just purchase them as you need them? Or do you keep them in stock? (if so what values and ratings?)

Thanks for helping someone settle into the hobby
~Zach