View Single Post
Old 07-21-2018, 09:22 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecolor 3007 View Post
What was the impact of the 1973 and 1979 oil crises upon your life?
In Romania the 1973 dind't had so much nasty impact. There wheren't many automobiles, we had good relations with some of the oil producing countries, and even after 1973 we had in use Gas (Petrol) powered bus and trucks (lorries)! - V8 "Ford" licence. But the 1979 was nasty - no more friends in Iran and Ceauşescu started with stupid iconomies!
Well, 1973 did not hurt us as much, from Pittsburgh, PA, we drove to Beaumont, Texas to see my aunt and uncle and in 1974, we went to see my uncle who worked for NASA at Cape Canaveral at that time. 1979 was a bit different, I missed the first week of junior high (7th Grade) stranded at my paternal grandmother's place when I was 13 because Mom had to save the gas to go to work. Was kind of fun though, I helped her in the garden, read her paranormal books, watched reruns of Love Boat, etc. BTW, in January of 1977, we had a crisis getting natural gas from New Orleans to where it had to go around the country due to the very bitter cold winter at that time. IIRC, President Carter urged non-essential businesses and offices to close, temporary furlough workers, or to a four day week to save energy. It was so bad, school was closed for over 2 weeks. Mom had some time off and my grandmother (her mother) was staying with us at that time so we just enjoyed ourselves together and watched the Blizzard of '77 in the Buffalo, NY area. It was bitter cold in Pittsburgh too like around 10 to 20 below (Fahrenheit). I remember AM DXing and listening to the mess in Buffalo on my radio as well as hours of CBS Radio Mystery Theatre with my grandmother. I love thinking about it, it brings good memories of family to me.