View Single Post
Old 07-21-2018, 09:39 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecolor 3007 View Post
Did any one had the chance to see the glimps of fluroescent street ligthining. I mean with fluorscent tubes, not High Pressure Mercury "bulbs".
In Romania we had them too. Nicknamed "lămpi banană (banana lamps)", officially code C.E.B. 340. But they dind't last long here either... 10 maxium years. I've seen just a pair in my life (but some one found another ones in Bucharest). They where in a non-working condition on a pole on an old gas station near me. Got repaled in the early '000 (2000's). Well, the gas station got closed in a few years and the colums left (some prewar gas staion from Bucharest had underground toilets and above there where masonery colums) got demolished (except 2) at the end of last year or at the begining of this year.
But I'm curios how was the street lighting with fluorescent tubes?
I don't recall fluorescent street lighting but I do remember seeing them in parking lots of malls, stores, gas stations. I remember around 1979 or so, there was a drive from mercury bulbs to sodium vapor, Mom never liked the orange glow either. There were a few old areas of Pittsburgh that still retained the old pre-WWI street lighting with the old incandescent bulbs up into the 1990's. I did a look on the internet for those old street lamps and the ones I remember date from 1912 or so. Here in Eastern Ohio, they did a lot of work to convert to LED's

Last edited by NowhereMan 1966; 07-21-2018 at 09:43 PM.
Audiokarma