View Single Post
Old 03-21-2011, 03:03 PM
<----Zenith C845

Hi Buzz -

Greetings, and welcome to VK from northeast Ohio, near Cleveland.

I am a ham operator as well (WB8NHV, since 1972) and have enjoyed the hobby immensely during that time. I have had several different station setups and have operated in three different locations (two Cleveland suburbs and my present home, a village some 35 miles from downtown Cleveland) in my almost 39 years in ham radio; however, since moving to an apartment 11 years ago (no outside ham antennas allowed in my apartment building and indoor antennas don't work well), I now operate exclusively on 2m FM with an Icom IC-T22a handheld with a 3/8-wave telescoping antenna and, for HF, Echolink. My node number for the latter is 331660.

I like antique and vintage radios too. My collection consists mostly of 1950s-'60s Zenith tube radios, although I do have a 1980 Zenith R-70 nine-transistor AM/FM set (an excellent performer and my favorite portable, BTW, with four FM IF stages, two such stages on AM and ceramic filters on both bands, and impressive sound with a push-pull audio stage and a 4" speaker) as well as Sony and Aiwa transistor sets.

Again, welcome to VK. I've been a member here since 2003 and have learned an awful lot from other members' posts, as well as getting top-notch advice regarding troubleshooting and repair of my treasured vintage (and two antique) radios. These guys are a grand bunch of folks, always willing to help -- all you need to do is post your request for assistance or comment and someone will answer, again, always with excellent advice.

BTW, VK has a ham radio related forum known as "The Amateur Radio Spot", devoted to anything and everything having to do with this wonderful hobby -- from the venerable 1950s-vintage Heathkit AT-1 Novice ham transmitter to the latest solid-state gear, along with info on propagation, antennas and other popular amateur radio topics.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.