View Single Post
Old 05-06-2011, 10:25 PM
complete novice

Well we have to understand the in "the old days" items were more simplistic and the cost for them (equivalent cost) was much higher. Engineers and companies prided themselves on building sturdy and long lasting items. Where as now, everything is akin to a bic lighter. Good for so long, then when its empty/broken, its disposable.

A friend and I were outside staring at our two cars. A 55 studebaker and a 53 mercury. Remarking how both of our cars were never mothballed, that theyd been on the road since new. That theyd truly lasted a lifetime and now we were trying to make them last a second lifetime. Neither were designed or intended to last that long, maybe 15 years or so. But with minimal maintenance, theyd made it this long. They were just simpler and much more sturdily designed than these modern cars. Like my 1950 motorola and my studebaker, I think the chance that they will be around in 50-100 years is 50 fold of what a modern tv and car will have.