View Single Post
Old 10-21-2019, 07:44 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

About 15-20 miles from where I live is this crumbling ruined "Settlement" Pressmen's Home, which was the headquarters of the International Printing Pressmen's & Assistants Union of North America. During their heyday, they had a trade school, 2 big hotels, offices, a chapel, a sanatarium, the president's home, workshops, the works. It was pretty much self-sufficient, they grew their own food, raised their own beef, had a post office. It was a showplace. But it was WAY back in the sticks, & after the "Ramrod," Maj George Leonard Berry died in 1948, the place just kinda slowly folded up. The bigger locals wanted to shed their "Bumpkin" image, & they moved-almost overnight-to Washington in 1967. They left most of the buildings almost undisturbed, & let go to rack & ruin. I took a "Self-guided tour" thru there back in the early 90s, there was NOBODY there, but I swear I was "Watched" the entire time. It was creepy as all hell. But even tho it had been ransacked thoroughly, there was STILL a lot of equipment left. This abandoned TV thread brings it all back....