View Single Post
Old 06-19-2018, 04:53 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind157 View Post
Is it common for a cap to be in place but not listed on a Sam's? The .0068 paper cap centered does not appear in the pictured diagram or show in the list of caps with that value. Could the SAMS just be off and Zenith used a slightly different design? Aside from a bumblebee being a paper the SAMS has bee spot on.
Also I removed the cap to find it's value and later turned the TV to test a replaced resistor. The set's picture was noticably better while that cap was still removed. Probably from the new resistor but after I was surprised when I remembered I had not replaced that cap and it worked so well.
And yes I know that could have been bad and will not do so again.
I have lost count of the number of times I've seen Sam's that have NOT matched the factory correct original build of a set. Sometimes it is Sam's typos, sometimes undocumented (by sam's) production changes, etc...My point is Sam's is FAR from a flawlessly accurate reference on any set.

If there are not OBVIOUS* signs that something which does not match the Sam's was changed after the set left the factory (say by some ham-handed tech 2-30 years after it was made) then you should ALWAYS assume Sam's is wrong and that the wiring in the actual set is right...Sam's used to pay shops that used their folders for reporting found defects/typos/etc., and some shops made good money showing sam's they were wrong.

*Look at the soldering workmanship brands of parts used, relative dirt/dust, etc, and you will start to spot such things.

We advise beginners to look at/have schematics, not for some infallible reference (documentation is never infallible), but because enough of it is right for it to help you understand generally what is going on, so we can discuss common part ID reference numbers, and so if we have not seen an exact model we can look at the schematic and give the most sound advice.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Last edited by Electronic M; 06-19-2018 at 04:58 PM.