View Single Post
Old 03-19-2018, 01:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

NEC DM-2710 Professional Video Monitor Repair

So I have had this Monitor/TV for several months now trying to get it up and running. It was (from what I understand) going into high voltage shutdown as I could hear and feel high voltage as I hit the power button but it would instantly shut off. After taking a look at the high voltage section of the power supply it was obvious that it was a cap issue as they were leaking out of the bottoms on essentially every cap that was original to the set. Others had been replaced before and had the telltale markings on the tops of those caps.

I got all of the original electro caps replaced and powered the unit up. It was the same deal as before but It was happening much quicker. I guess that sort of makes sense with nice fresh caps? I went ahead and tested the hot transistor and it was fine. I also checked the Film caps that I assumed were ok but they were testing out of spec with my capacitance tester. I went ahead and ordered what I needed to get all of those replaced and finished the job last night. Well it seems there is no difference except that it is happening seemingly even quicker now.

Looking through the nearly impossible to find Service manual for this set and testing voltages with my limited comprehension of how everything works it seems as if my B+ voltages are coming in a bit too high which compounds as it moves through the high voltage circuit causing the unit to go into high voltage protection/shutdown. As of right now I am not sure what would be the best way to proceed other than to test each and every component one by one then replacing what is "bad" then crossing my fingers. I would much rather have a good plan of attack instead of a shot in the dark for the sake of my sanity.

Is there anyone out there that might be able to steer me in the right direction to get this beauty up and running again? I mean the thing has EGA, VGA, BNC RGB, S-Video....this thing needs to work again.

P.S. I am currently trying to upload the service manual for reference. Will update with a url when its done.