View Single Post
Old 06-18-2018, 02:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecolor 3007 View Post
Since urban public electric transportation is scarce in some parts of the world, I ask you: did you ever ride with the:
1) Tram (streetcar) (trolley) (trolleycar);
2) Light rail;
3) Underground (subway);
4) Trolleybus (trolleycoach) (trackless trolley)
and if so, how was you experience with it?
You're very prolific with the questions lately

Here in Edmonton Canada we have 2 and 3, both are much better than taking the bus, but I don't live near any stops presently, so I take the car. We used to have 4, and it was a mess of wires all over the streets.. it was decommissioned about ten years ago. It was more or less just like the regular diesel bus, except the routes were not flexible, the wires were messy and ugly, and from time to time, the boom would get disconnected, so the driver would have to get out, and move it back into place with a big stick. I don't think too many people were sad to see it go.

I'm too young for 1 here, but I took a tram in San Francisco not so long ago.. I think they keep it going purely for nostalgia. Kind of cool how it grunts into motion as the electric motor is turned on.

Efficient public transportation doesn't mesh too well with the low population density of post-war suburban planning... the cost of building a rail line is very high when you consider the low number of people per stop who can access it.

Last year when I was in New York, I took the subway and commuter trains almost everywhere I went.. I guess it's better than being stuck in traffic, but I can't say I was a big fan of being so close to strangers in such a small space