View Single Post
Old 05-12-2010, 10:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

biggest mistake: tk60 camera viewfinder is not real, the tube is too small and is an implant

crap -recreations of images on screen, doesnt quite look right and misty at the edges showing its an overlay

yes, camera person racks the lenses over but crap viewfinder overlay doesnt match on the camera.

I have seen so many bad re-creations on screen over the years but generally the public wouldnt realise.

In the graham kennedy movie "THE KING" it showed them using the PYE MKIII cameras right up till color in 1975, when they actually upgraded to the newer larger 4.5" tube pye model in around '62, the camera viewfinders were implants which had square screens and clearly visible "dots" of a color tube/lcd screen where as the original tubes were round. Also camera cables were absent in many shots, the wrong pedestals were used, and in some shots you could see the corrosion on the lenses and dust showing the cameras hadnt even been cleaned up for the film and therefore looked old when they would have been almost new.

The shots of the bosch KCU40's also showed no image in the viewfinders which seemed a glarigly obvious mistake which was suprising nobody picked up.

It is however very hard to get everything correct in a movie set environment, i worked last year on the Bob Hawke telemovie about australias prime minister, and for some scenes the gear just wasnt available to make it 100% historically accurate, so you just had to make do with what you had. Also the sheer pace of production can mean you simply dont have time available to attend to every little detail and as much as you plan beforehand its still up to the others in the production role to make last minute changes which can render that planning a waste of time - so you can only do what you can do, in the situation & resources given to you at the moment!

The movie is due to air this year and once it does i am permitted to release the photos of my stuff in use behind the scenes and alike, so will let this group know..and you can pick all the faults in that too

Last edited by austvarchive; 05-12-2010 at 10:21 PM.