View Single Post
Old 05-21-2018, 11:05 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irext View Post
There were a few transformerless models, Ekco being one of them but they were not popular in Aus at all since 240V is quite lethal and the possibility of contact with the chassis with Active and Neutral reversed scared a lot of people. I had an isolation transformer until very recently when It went up in a cloud of smoke and oozed black goo everywhere. It was a pull from an old Sony color set and had served me well for many years but didn't like being connected to a laptop charger (I was using the laptop to play audio at a party and had a ground loop causing digital noise in the background so used the iso tranny to get around it). Power factor correction in Chinese power supplies is non existent. As all the Transformerless TV's in Aus are long gone I don't think I'll worry about replacing it.
The NEC and the CEC does not allow any voltage higher than 120 volts from live to earth ground in residential and smaller commercial installations. I always thought it was a safer approach than using a higher voltage for general usage. Copper wire is expensive here as well, but we never sacrificed safety for reduced expense.