Thread: New enthusiast
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2016, 08:39 PM
Not sure how I got here.

That is a nice looking tv you have !
I think if you take your time, and don't try too much all at once, you should be able to
handle making this tv your first electronics project.

There is one thing you already know..... With the brightner on the tube, you already
know it's got a weak picture tube. You don't need to buy a tester for that..... Once
you get the guts going, you will be able to evaluate the picture tube, and decide if
you want to get a replacement. And yes someone most likely will be able to get one.

Did you plug it in and fire it up..? No Smoke ? tubes light up..?
A lot of these sets had a fuse on the B+ power supply, that's what runs most of the
circuits. If the tubes light, and you get no picture, or sound of any kind, then you
may have some minor power supply problems.

Did you look at the power plug, ? look at it full length, any cracks in the insulation?
if so replace it.....

There are lots of tv repair books on ebay, they have titles that include "basic tv repair"
and stuff like that..... Some were written for the home owner who has decided he's
going to figure this thing out.... Those are good books to begin with.... People who
actually repair tvs began with this kind of book....

You will need a meter, get a $30. one off ebay. Or get an education on meters, and get
an older one that was expensive when new. I got a replacement Beckman 330 off ebay
for $20. and when I got one new in '83?? it was over $300. You can find good well
taken care of tools for a good price. Don't go nuts, you would not want to smoke a $100.
meter.... There are very very good youtube videos about basic electronics, and how
to use meters and other tools.... I wish they were around when I was learning this stuff....

Take your time, people here will answer your questions....

Good luck.