View Single Post
Old 08-21-2018, 01:53 PM
M is for Memory

The primary of the transformer is definitely open verified by resistance test, and lack of plate voltage on the 6SN7 section driving it...

I understand the heads are crystal and probably bad, but if I rebuild or send out the head for a rebuild (west tech claims to rebuild these) it will not do me much good if the drive circuits are not operational.

Jeffhs the value of the cutting function to me has nothing to do with the day to day practicality of recording to 78RPM record in 2018...If it did I'd have dumped this machine MANY years ago. I don't talk about this much but I've long had an obsession with obsolete recording formats...I have and use tape formats you've probably never heard of going back to wire recorders... I've kept it and want it working primarily as an example of the technology. Also your understanding of the operational practicality of such a unit is poor...My unit came with many unused recording blanks and cutting styli (and I find additional recording blanks periodically), also I've seen people on youtube use units like mine to record on to laser rotted laser discs (and I'm sure it is not hard to get or create plastic discs that this thing can record on). Also as a big band and 78RPM aficionado there are some great performances that were recorded well after the end of 78s that I would love to dub to the format and add to a stack on one of my lighter tracking 40's record changers (or jukeboxes once I have funds to pursue that interest).

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4