View Single Post
Old 06-08-2019, 04:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Computers from school

I was always interested in the computers at school and how different they were from home computers.

At the first elementary school I went to we never used any, and I don't remember the teachers using them. One class I do remember some computer in the room that had the "Intel Inside" logo but that's it.

Second elementary school had more computers. Our computer lab had Apple IIGS with 3.5" floppy. They were arranged in circles with an ImageWriter II in the middle. We played games on those like Word and Number Munchers and Oregon Trail once a week. Those were already old then. My last year at elementary school they got replaced during the summer with blueberry iMacs, and there were iMac posters on the walls with the 5 colors. I was so excited about that. Usually on those we went online or played Sim City.

Somewhere along the line computer teacher's desk and another side desk got Macintosh G3 All in Ones, the first white version. I thought those looked super cool with the translucent top.

In the classrooms there most teachers had Macintosh LC 550 or 575 all in ones, or Power PC all in ones. One or two rooms had old 486 computers but I don't remember them used. Most rooms also had StyleWriter and ImageWriter II printers.

Library at one point had 3 computers we could get on, one being a Blueberry G3 tower with 3 legged monitor.

Middle school most teachers had Dell Optiplex, the white ones with 15" monitor, where the case sat underneath the monitor. Most classrooms though also had Macintosh LC 575 which were used for Accelerated Reader testing in language arts, other classrooms I don't remember using them. My math teacher had a 'pizza box' LC III+ and a Quadra 605 in the room too. That LC III+ always fascinated me because the case was so thin. I remember them only being used once on a free day when we played Lemmings on them. The computer lab there had Dell Optiplex in one half and Mac LC 575 in the other part. On a cabinet in the computer lab I remember seeing a Mac SE/30 and an old looking Gateway case for probably a 386. In the media center office there was a Apple IIe case on top of a shelf for some reason. One other classroom also had an LC III+ but later I remember it being dismantled on a cart and then removed.

Later some teachers got newer black/gray Optiplex desktops. Those were my favorite Dells, and I always wondered why that version was never in the magazines we got.

One older history teacher there did use a Mac G3 tower as his personal computer, but he was the only teacher I knew there that didn't have a Windows computer.

In high school there were practically no Macs. At first the teachers had really old looking Dell Optiplex. Later those got replaced with newer black ones. One kinda nerdy Spanish teacher that had been there forever had a computer lab with Apple IIe computers that you could use for extra credit before school. I'm sure when he retired those got junked. They were ancient by the time I was there. He did use a Dell for his personal machine though.

Last edited by crt89; 06-08-2019 at 04:09 PM.