View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 12:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'm glad for all the activity this little player has generated! Lots of knowledge on this forum, it never dissapoints! The Columbia has been sitting under the stairs for years waiting for its chance on the bench.

1. I think it is an Alliance motor, after reading the above comments, I did a google search for Alliance phono motor, and came up with photos of motors identical to mine. Nice to have that bit cleared up!

2. None of the Alliance idler wheels or turrets appear to match what's on my player, however there's a Webcor idler/turret set which does. Most portable phonos have only an idler, not a turret - I think mine is an earlier 3 speed design than most. I received an answer from VM, and he's going to set me up with new rubber for the old Columbia.

3. Probably now is also a good time to change the motor mounts, so I don't get an obscene amount of motor noise transferring into the platter.

4. I'm never going to use this record player for my brand new Beatles box set, but 4g is certainly healthier than the 10g which the old crystal cartridge is rated for. VM can supply an EV stereo cartridge with a 0.7 mil conical diamond, which looks to be a good choice. One thing which does concern me, is that the new cartridge will have good bass response, and send too much rumble and motor noise on to the amplifier. I'm also not keen on using a 2 mil stylus on any LP I actually want to listen to, for obvious reasons. That said, I like how the old crystal cartridge looks, and have never actually had one which works.

5. Still need to figure out how to deal with the lack of a neutral position - maybe just keep it stored with the idler and turret removed? I am quite sure mine has no hidden neutral position, I've tried everything and the turret is always being pushed against the motor shaft with a spring.

Will keep forum posted on progress,

Best Regards

Max