View Single Post
Old 06-23-2010, 08:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppppenguin View Post
Plumbicons, not vidicons. A Philips invention that turned photoconductive tubes from mediocre to excellent. EEV made similar tubes called Leddicons.
Apparently, the 2001 was marketed under the Thomson name in France with vidicon instead of Plumbicon or Leddicon tubes. There was an attempt to break the 2001 in the USA via IVC, as the IVC/EMI 2001-B (4-tube) or 2001-C (3-tube), but from what I could tell there were almost no takers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppppenguin View Post
BTW, this question could almost start a war. Supporters of EMI and Marconi can be very partisan.
For political reasons (read: please the BBC), EMI cameras' international distribution was very limited, if at all - unlike Marconi, whose Mark VII color cameras were marketed around the world, and more specifically in use at several U.S. TV stations (the cameras were marketed via Ampex in the States). Three of the five CBS O&O's (in Chicago, St. Louis and Los Angeles) used the Mark VII's starting in 1966. A few public TV stations also used the Mark VII's, as did WFLD Channel 32 in Chicago beginning in 1967, and WNJU Channel 47 in Linden/Newark, NJ for several years starting in the late 1960's.

To check how the quality of the picture from Mark VII's stood at U.S. TV stations, for example, type in "KNXT 1978" in the search engine of YouTube.

I have no partisanship; I recognize different "tube" cameras have their good points, and for the most part can tell which is which by what kind of picture is emanated.