View Single Post
Old 07-31-2012, 09:41 AM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
I use pretty much ALL the outputs from my Cox cable HD box....

The HDMI goes up to a Samsung 55" LCD in the front room

The coax out "channel 3" goes to a splitter and into the kitchen....and up over the front room to yet ANOTHER splitter and between two bedrooms. Since I live alone, I remotely control the cable box in the front room with one of those little IR repeaters...and the TVs in the two bedrooms will show whatever is coming "out" of the cable box. I have to settle for some weird picture geometery sometimes depending if it's an HD channel or a "below channel 1000" simply DTV channel, but I can see 'em if I don't mind letterbox or side bars. The little 23" Samsung LCD in the bedroom has enough zoom modes to deal with that.

I'm using the three RCA jacks on back of the same cable box to feed an in-house transmitter for all the "fun" TV sets that are ALLOVER the apartment using antennas. Those can ALSO pretty much see anything the cable box does, so as long as the little TV you are holding (mine are almost ALL micro TV sets), can get VHF channel 13. I do get "Letterbox" pictures on those sets if watching HD content, fullscreen if I go down to the DTV channels...AND that DTV channel is showing 4:3 content. The most annoying mode is a DTV channel showing a letterbox program. All the little analog sets will show just a small BOX of a picture as it shows a letterbox program with 4:3 bars.

I do seem to remember though that before I got the HD box, I had the coax that ran to the two bedrooms as simply a splitter of the cable. Those TVs then could get something like "up to channel 99" or so without a box if it could accept the coax. This was also BEFORE I was "collecting" TV sets. If I wanted to really, I could have come up with the transmitter idea BEFORE I ran the coax to ANY other part of the house...but I had no idea then I was gonna have like sixty little TV sets on bookshelves :-P

I have not tried to watch a "naked cable" into a set in a couple years now.....I don't know if Cox cable may have killed the analog signal somewhere in that time or not.

Last edited by AiboPet; 07-31-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Audiokarma