View Single Post
Old 02-17-2019, 04:47 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notimetolooz View Post
Have you had good luck doing this? I tried soldering to the leads inside a miniature tube and the solder didn't take. I believe the leads are nickle alloy or something like that which lead-tin solder doesn't work with. Maybe with a special solder, flux and a torch.
I have had luck with this using normal 40/60 lead solder...Last year I pulled the 21AXP22 out of a CTC-5 (to stick in a rarer Moto that needed one) and replaced it with a glass tube...The change in CRT blocked the installation of the front/center tubes on the chassis. The easiest solution was to make an adapter with a 90-degree bend to lay the tube down on it's side on the chassis...I used the exact method quoted only bending the wires 90 degrees. It has worked fine for me so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notimetolooz View Post
The 1KHz signal may not work that well, unless you traced the signal with a scope. There would be no sync, so seeing bars on the screen would be very unlikely. You don't know how far off your sweep frequencies are free running.
That brings up a point, if you had no sync and the sweep frequencies were off, then a video signal getting to the CRT could have the image jumbled so much it would not be recognizable.
Years ago (on my first resto) when I did not own a test pattern generator, but had an HP generator that covered 1Hz-10MHz I tried using that to inject into the video stages. I found that as I changed the frequency the number of bars changed from and they would vary between horizontal and vertical...If the amplitude is high enough and the video stages work you can get very contrasty patterns easily distinguishable from snow or blank raster...Also, sync is of little consequence unless your generator is fixed frequency. The sweep free runs fairly stable in most sets without sync so as long as you tune your gen to SOME multiple of one or both free run sweep frequencies you will get bars. If you don't tune it you get fingerprint-like patterns.
At some point in the ~10 years since I did that, I repeated that experiment on a different set (think I didn't want to dig the right generator out cause I'm lazy) and got the same results.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4