View Single Post
Old 09-17-2023, 11:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

Pioneer CLD-2080 having trouble tracking the end of CAV discs

This is the only laserdisc player I’ve had, but overall I’ve been pretty happy with it. The picture quality seems great, much better than my VHS’s and works amazing with the D Series CRT. But I have an issue where it just doesn’t want to track that last 5 minutes or so of a disc correctly. When it gets to the end it starts dropping frames and skipping all over the place and repeating itself. Finally it will loose tracking all together, give up and go to an earlier part of the disc. When I first got it it would also break up the picture and sound pretty bad on CLV titles also, but would track ok.

I found that this player has adjustments for tracking balance/gain and tilt balance/gain. Through subtle adjustments while discs are playing I found that the tracking adjustments and tilt gain don’t seem to have much affect at all, or at least were adjusted ok to begin with and further messing around just made it worse. Only the tilt gain had any positive effect. After some trial and error I was able to get the CLV disks to play all the way to the end quite reliably with only minor picture degradation at the very end with no sound issues. CAV on the other had is still an issue. It got a little better with adjustment, but ultimately no matter what I do I can’t get them track for that last few minutes. Some discs are better than others, I assume this is based on how much of the disc is used before changing sides? It’s the same on both sides of the discs (it a 2 side player).

Any ideas on how or if I can make it any better? Most of my favorite discs are CAV titles. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_1747 Medium.jpeg (89.0 KB, 9 views)