View Single Post
Old 12-06-2018, 10:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

Well I dug in a little more and scraped the carbon off the socket. It turns out it was arcing, from where the HV anode lead is soldered to one of the pins in the socket. Somehow that melted resistor, which I have determined to be R-106, 220Ω 7W, measures 219Ω. The various sections of C8 (the main filter) also seem to be OK.

Tracing the power cord to the power transformer, one of the terminals on the transformer has a jumper soldered across to the other side of the transformer, and there is about half an inch of light-green wire soldered to this same terminal that has been cut. My best guess there is that this is the series connection for the two primaries that Tom C is talking about.

I've scraped out all the carbon I can from that socket and dressed the wires away from it. Tonight I will bring it up on the variac again, this time to 240V, and see if I get any fireworks while I wait for some silicone to be delivered.

Thanks everyone for the input. If anyone has one of these and feels like taking a few photos of the way that power transformer is wired it would be really helpful.