View Single Post
Old 12-08-2016, 09:57 AM
Followin' the Rules...

Use a resistor to measure leakage - ohms law applies. I have the LC102 and the calibration uses several high-megohm values in calibrating the leakage at various voltage points.

I use a Sencore Field Calibrator originally sold with the LC53 and LC75 to verify calibration along with some Siemens 1% polystyrene capacitors for the lower ranges. For leakage/ohms, I simply use ohms law and some resistors - don't worry about the tolerance - my LC102's leakage accuracy is stated at 2% up to 500V, IIRC. After that, the leakage accuracy is quoted in percent plus an +/- least-significant-digit value. My inductance calibration checks are with some really nice mil-surplus coils with 2% tolerance. So far, spot on.

To be painfully honest, the LC102 leakage function is hardly used, as I can replace a cap quicker and cheaper than pulling one, testing it, and making a decision. Time=money...

Ringing tests on older flys and yokes is accurate, but the newer IHVTs sometimes trip up my Sencore - so I go the HR Diemen flyback tester (tests at real voltage values...) - this works with all but some Mitsubishi flybacks, which are like Hen's teeth anymore, so no worry..

All the LC-series from the LC75 and up are about the same schematically - just added features or ranges. Handy, but for real convenience, I use portables mostly anymore, and leave the LC102 to find real faults with stuff. The leakage/high resistance check is nice for measuring HV resistors and it'll even light up Nixie tube segments for testing.
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!

Last edited by Findm-Keepm; 12-08-2016 at 10:05 AM.