View Single Post
Old 08-21-2014, 01:32 AM
<-- CSXT 6038, EMD GP40-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Bourquin View Post
It belongs on the curb.

For sure needs the 4 1000uf caps on the Formatter and DM boards. Then plan on somewhere between a few and about a hundred surface mount caps on those same boards. If you can do that without damaging some traces on the boards, you move on to taking the screen off, and cleaning a ton of dust off of the lens and mirrors.......you get to do that every 6 months or so.

Oh yeah. They have a noisy color wheel too. Metallic whirring noise. You get used to it after a while.

If you get this far without plunging an axe through it, you might find it is a pretty decent TV. I used one for about 3 years. Even with all of the work I did on it, it would occasionally go quirky on me. I finally got fed up.
I can definitely deal with heavy dust and noisy color wheels, but SMT caps? EWWWW! I will go as far as replacing every standard capacitor in the set, but I'm just not confident enough in my abilities with SMT tech to replace large numbers of this type of component. Hopefully it won't come to that...but if it does, I'll end up just parting it out :/