View Single Post
Old 07-26-2012, 09:12 PM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
Okay....Dunno why really, but decided to just put this capacitor BACK where it was after a couple hours of not getting the fireworks.

Soldered it back on the little stubs I had from SNIPPING the thing out a couple days ago (I know...shoulda removed it by desoldering it).

NOW.....comes on and plays, and turned it off and on several times without seeing or hearing a single snap. Also, as I noticed before, this cap appears to have NO effect whatsoever on the picture whether it is there or not.

I did have a go allover with just some canned air...because it was simply dusty in some places, but at this point, looks like this little set may not be in any trouble after all :-)

I have no CRT checker yet, but would have loved to practice checking the CRT on this little set. The picture is surprisingly good for what looks to just be a very plain 70's color portable set. Not a single scanline...and I can set it up to get a REAL nice B/W picture. I remember my TV shop teacher saying that a color TV in real good health will be able to produce a very good B/W picture.