View Single Post
Old 02-29-2024, 09:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Just got a KCS-96 chassis set

Hi guys uship just dropped off my new RCA TV. I don't know the actual model. There's an interesting story behind this set.apparently the previous owners dad was taking a tv repair course by mail and he believes this was going to be the guinea pig. He was cleaning out the house and found it in the Attic. Along with an 8 mm projector and all the books for the course. Once he finds them he's going to send them to me. Anyway I carried the set down into my basement it's shockingly heavy, and opened it up just to see what was going on. I heard a lot of rattling so I was concerned. The first thing I noticed when I opened it was a brightener so I was pretty upset, then I noticed he stole every tube out of the set but wrote down where each tube goes. I hooked up my picture tube tester just to see and the tube tests extremely strong with great cutoff. Has anyone seen a set with a good tube and a brightener installed? Anyway, I wanted to give reforming the caps a shot just to see if I could get any action out of the set. I used a 25w appliance bulb on my dim bulb and without any tubes it lights at about 50% brightness. Then I plugged in my solid state 5U4 and it went to full brightness for a second then dropped right down to the brightness before the 5U4 was installed. I see that at some point the main filters were replaced. I just don't know when. Is it possible they aren't shorted? I know I'll be recapping the set, but I'd like to put tubes in and see how it works.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240229_214756_3_25.jpg.jpg (35.6 KB, 58 views)