View Single Post
Old 04-11-2012, 06:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

Off screen telerecordings of Farnsworth TV experiments!

G'day all.

Been watching on the aptsarchive channel on YouTube a documentary called "The Race For Television" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQoeJbP6JH4 which was an excellent documentary on the history of television and its inventors. Anyhow about halfway through the program I saw a couple of off screen film telerecording snippets of Farnsworth's early electronic TV experiments (dating I guess early/mid 1930s) with his image dissector tube camera, one of a clarinet player at 26:13 and an image of a woman on screen at 26:23, very thrilling for me to see!!! The pictures of the clarinet player on screen came up very well, quite amazing quality for the very first electronic television camera, Farnsworth's image dissector tube looks to bring up pretty good images in good light!

Anyhow I am curious to know more about those pieces of footage, where have they been sourced from and if there's any more off screen telerecordings of Farnsworth's TV experiments?

Also there's some other great off screen telerecordings in the program from the mechanical sets, one most notable is at 20:38 which features a young guy in front of the camera speaking, quality looking quite good for a 30 line picture dating say late 1920s. And also there's some off screen telerecordings of the bomber cameras around 47:05 which look very good and longer versions of course can be found on some pay per download archive site which I've forgotten the name of.

Anyways here below are some screen caps of the Farnsworth telerecordings and in studio shots, plus a snap of that guy on mechanical television.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (55.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (37.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (37.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (55.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (37.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (35.1 KB, 22 views)