View Single Post
Old 04-20-2020, 03:57 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hi to All,

Hello Telecolor 3007, you wrote :

"So, in 1969-1970 only the rich or the ones who where eager to get a color television and had some money got one ?"

True. If you look at the catalogue of French color TVs Old_TV_Nut kindly posted on his site (Thanks !), some quote prices. At the 1967/1968 introduction of color sets, the standard model was a 25"/63cm rectangular screen with a 4500 French Francs price tag. This was also the price of a popular, cheap car the Renault 4L, See it here :

https://www.google.fr/search?q=Renau...w=1173&bih=735

Interestingly enough, when the first US color TV, the RCA CT-100 came out in 1953, its price was also the US Dollar equivalent of a small car.

"You could buy them with loans ?"
Well you could always ask your bank for a loan and get a yes/no answer.
I think your question is : could you get a color TV by rental ?

In England, color TV took off thanks to rentals, weekly or monthly payment. It was very popular and immensely helped the introduction of color. In France, you could rent, LOCATEL was the main provider, but the French are very reluctant to rent forever and not own the product in the end, so rental was a very small part of the market. The general attitude was "i will do without and wait until prices come down + more channels + better reliability".

"Thanks for the info again! I opened a discusion about the tvs on a Romanian forum and put a link to here too!"

Thank You ! & you're welcome !

Best Regards
jhalphen
Paris/France