View Single Post
Old 10-05-2015, 07:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

More...

If you have no color, that is probably bad caps in the chrominance circuits. Try this. Take a blanket and put over the machine for 30 minutes. EE bars thru the machine (no tape inserted, stop mode) and I bet the color will "pop" in. Caps have a tendency to go back to work when they are warm. Many machines were 24/7 machines so stations never knew if they had bad caps. I'll have to look at my notes to tell you which caps they are but as I recall its about 4 small caps will get you going.
DON'T EVEN THINK about removing the head drum UNLESS you have an eccentricity gauge. If your eccentricity is out, you will get noise banding in the middle of the picture. Beta drums are slightly larger than where they mount. Not like VHS. There is no dihedral adjustment. TBC takes care of that.
If the display on the keyboard freezes intermittently, you've most likely got a stuck button on the keyboard. Most likely the "in" or "out" buttons. The buttons are notoriously crappy. Be careful changing buttons out. The circuits pull of really easily. Its not unusual to see jumpers on the bottom of the keyboard.
You should try to get the 2 manuals for the machine. Look on Ebay. There is a set of three extender modules. More tomorrow.