View Single Post
Old 11-18-2016, 12:58 PM
RCA 741PCS

Kent 422 restoration

Here's a little side project I've been working on in between TVs. It's a little four tube "midget" AM radio from 1940.

The tube lineup is

35Z5GT - rectifier
12SA7 - pentagrid converter
12SQ7 - detector and 1st audio
50L6GT - audio output

Conspicuously absent is an IF stage and I expect it will only receive strong, local stations.

Eventually I figured out the chassis is an Arvin (Noblitt-Sparks Industries) RE-91.

The handle appears to be a replacement and the glued on dial scale has seen better days. I'm going to strip and repaint it.
Not sure what to do about that scale. It's some kind of thin metal foil with a celluloid or plastic backing.

Here's a nice example from the radio attic: http://radioattic.com/item.htm?radio=0900035

The electrolytics have been replaced with some beefy ones rated for 450 volts and are too big to fit inside.
Also two are doubled up to get the necessary capacitance. Well I'll be replacing them with some "skinny" caps, of the right value and more modest voltage rating still well above the original.

The paper caps will get replaced with plastic film types. I spot checked a few resistors and they were way off so out they go too.