View Single Post
Old 11-19-2020, 11:09 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
I like anything NOT involving heat but still nervous about handling a few really good Zenith jugs. The last three cataract removals were on RCA and GE replacement CRT's. I broke the safety glass on the FJ as it was 70% intact and there was no steady sun for weeks, so I used a heat gun. bad idea.

I just have to make it a point of getting some No 18 string and from what I understand, passing some low-voltage thru it for heating is unnecessary.

The silicone caulk I used to seal the edge of a 21FJ was white and I should have used clear as one little bit of caulk was visible after putting it back in the set. Clear tape that I used around the edge was similar to original.
Yup.
On RCA jugs I crack 90% of safety glass using heat and pry methods.

On Zenith CRTs I've never cracked a safety glass using the wire. The wire doesn't need to be warm...heck the tube doesn't have to be warm. I've done a successful Zenith removal in a dim garage on a 45 degree fall night.
It's the safest cataract removal process I know.

Clear silicone is better. I prefer the small hand squeeze tubes over the gun type tubes as I feel it gives me more control to make a small bead. You only need 1/8" contact inward of the edge to seal and provide cushion IMO.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4