View Single Post
Old 07-27-2023, 11:55 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Two things:
One while you can measure resistors in circuit with any resistance meter the reading in circuit is never guaranteed to be the actual resistance of the resistor due to parallel paths. No meter can eliminate parallel paths...If it claims to, it's lying. When measuring resistor in circuit if the value is exactly as rated or higher it's probably accurate, if it's lower you have to unhook one lead.

Two it's really better to pull the chassis and solder on the board than clip and tack it back together, both from a neatness standpoint and from a on thicker leads to get a good joint you can end up melting the old board joint causing the lead to fall through the board or a cold solder joint on the board to develop standpoint.
OK, well anyways with one of the legs of the resistors removed from the circuit, my VTVM (which for some reason that's all I could find, because I somehow misplaced my DMM) the resistors read 75K Ohm which is higher than the rated 68K Ohms, and those resistors are 10% tolerance so I don't know if they are measuring within tolerance or not but it still sounds like they may need to go either way.

I was reading/following another member's thread where he was repairing a Color TV of a similar vintage to mine (the one where he was working on a late 1960s Motorola Color TV that had issues with the color not wanting to lock in correctly) and there were some suggestions about using some 2%-5% tolerance resistors in the IF and Chroma sections of the TV to get it to work better.
I wonder if in my TVs case that might be something worth looking into to get the TV functionality more stable, because my TV is essentially exibiting those same issues as that Motorola TV in the aforementioned thread, where the picture and color are not stable.