View Single Post
Old 05-14-2018, 11:00 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan View Post
You're really overthinking it. You could legit hold your breath for the two seconds it takes to pull the thing off and put it in the garbage can. But hey, whatever makes you feel better.

I'm with mips on this one, take it outside and blow all the dust out.

I think you're likely right, I just think better safe than sorry, I can be a bit of a hypochondriac sometimes, and for the minimal effort involved in getting a proper mask, wetting it down, not rushing, etc. I'd rather not worry about asbestos later on, next time I get a cough.

I got the circuit to this TV from a forum member, and studied it a while. This is my first B&W chassis which is line operated (no power transformer). It doesn't even have a voltage doubler, only a half wave rectifier and a very low B+ of 130V! I do like that the sound detector is an actual discriminator, and not the nasty quadrature detector my RCA and Philco sets use.. Fingers crossed it won't buzz?

I do have a nice 500kVA isolation transformer to make working on it safe. Once I get the chassis cleaned out I'm looking forward to checking the CRT and making sure it's a viable candidate for restoration.