View Single Post
Old 07-26-2006, 12:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

My parents bought a tube color set before I was born. I was just thinking, I don't recall ever seeing a great color picture on a GE tube set-but then, that old KE chassis I grew up with must have done okay. I guess I didn't have anything to compare it to. In the 70s I had one aunt with a similiar GE, an uncle with a late 60s Admiral-nobody I knew had a Zenith. Some friends of my parents had and early solid state RCA. To this kid, they all looked fine!

I can attest to the reliability issue. It seemed that the repairman was over to our house monthly. I recall once there was a giftwrapped package in the closet and I eagerly asked who it was for. My Mom told me "Bruce". Well, there was a (then) young guy working for my father by that name, but I thought it was for Bruce Meredith, the TV repairman. That I knew him by name, and was not surprised that he would be getting a gift from my parents, well, that speaks for how often he visited! When that set was retired for a solid state GE (post-modular chassis era) the visits stopped. I think they came by once when the set was very new and that was for something minor. In 1990 my grandfather bought a new 19" Sylvania (NAP/US built) and my father bought a new 19" GE (RCA, also US built). Both sets needed repair in their first year but have done fine since and are still going strong to this day.